Sunday, November 27, 2011

Baby no more

I think (okay, I know) I've babied Ainsley far longer than I would have ever for Leighton. Those with more than one child, did you find you allowed your second (or third) to be a baby longer than you did your first? Without a doubt that is how it worked for me. With Leighton, I couldn't wait until she slept through the night, until she crawled, until she ate real food, until she started talking, etc., etc. With Ainsley, I've cherished every single moment, knowing it passes all too fast.

When Leighton was 3 months old I was worried we'd swaddle her forever so we started weaning her. When Leighton was a year old, I banished the paci except for bed. When Leighton could barely talk, I expected her to use her words all the time to request. When Leighton was just 3 years old, she was forced to grow up into the big sister role and become more independent than little 3 year olds naturally are.

Now Ainsley...she's a whole different story. Swaddling...I would have done it forever but she stopped needing it around 4 months old. The paci, well, it was banished to the crib when she was about 2 years old (possibly even later than that) and we still have ONE left waiting to get "lost." Ainsley whines and I pick my sweet baby up as fast as I can. She is two and a half and still in her crib. I can't help it. What if she's my last? I must keep her baby like qualities as long as I can!

However, with Aaron's prodding, I've realized I need to start "letting go." In realizing I need to let go, I've also realized that she's ready. She's been ready. So, I've been preparing her that once this last pat-pat (pacifier) is gone that she is going to be a big girl like her sissy and not have any more. I almost always follow my conversation by asking if she is ready to be a big girl and she consistently responds, "not yet." She's obviously been listening, though. Yesterday she asked to sleep in her "big girl bed" for nap. I hesitantly agreed and then watched her petite little body climb up her stairs to the big twin bed in her room, and lay down. She then puckered her sweet lips, gave me a kiss, and then handed over her paci and said, "put it in my crib bed." Wow! What a big girl she is.

So, here's my doll...growing up entirely too fast...and certainly not a baby anymore. *Tears*



1 comment:

  1. That could have been written by me! I have absolutely held on to every second of Xander's baby-ness, and I know that I was so eager for Nora to do everything (walk, talk, enunciate :), you name it). Maybe it is how God helps us to develop our special relationships with our "big girls" and our sweet "little ones."

    ReplyDelete