Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Best When Broken

"Portraits are so much more than paper.  They're a feeling, a memory, a fleeting instant...captured.  Tangible.  A moment already passed but in your hands forever."

May was an insanely busy month...the end of school, kindergarten graduation, field day, six and a half (the half will come in to play later) photography sessions (that's a lot when you work a full-time job too), three birthday parties, Memorial Day, out of town company, two doctor appointments, etc., etc.  Years from now, I won't remember the hustle and bustle of the month.  But I'll never forget May of 2012.

My sweet friend Scott asked me to capture a few shots of he and his wife, Linda, at their cabin.  The purpose of the shoot was to get "the" picture.  The picture that would be on the cover of Scott's book that is due to come out this fall.  I was honored.  Totally blown away to be honest.  Let's face it...it isn't every day you get asked to take the picture for a book cover!  Before the shoot, I was feeling the pressure.  But, amidst all of the feelings of nervousness, I also didn't know if my picture would even "make the cut."  So, we seized the day, and enjoyed the beauty of the outdoors. 

Scott and I had our own visions of what the cover might include.  We got some amazing shots!  I just knew one of them was going to be "the" one!  And, I was wrong!  We needed to tweak the picture to include several things.  So, how about a second shoot?  The only flaw with a second shoot was that it was a crazy busy time!  Would we ever find a common time when we could travel to get it done?

We scheduled another date and wouldn't you know it poured down rain all morning.  I stressed.  My stomach was in knots.  We needed this to work.  I called Scott and Linda, and they hemmed and hawed over whether we should go.  There was a tiny spot on the radar that showed no rain so we went for it...and it couldn't have been more perfect.  There was rain all the way there...and all the way back.  But, the 20 minutes (hence...the 1/2 shoot I referenced above) we spent at the re-shoot were picture perfect...literally!  I believe with all my heart that God allowed those 20 minutes to happen...and wouldn't you know the first shot of the afternoon was our cover picture! 

July 3rd 2012...the phone rings...

Me: Hello? 
Scott (in tears):  You near a computer? 
Me: Yes (I knew what was coming so I began to shake).
Scott: Check your email...I just got the picture of the book cover.
Me: Speechless!  Totally blown away.  It was everything I could have ever imagined. 



There are dates forever engrained in my life.  The day I got married.  The day my children were born.  And now July 3, 2012 is added to those dates.  The day my dreams became reality.  

This fall, Best When Broken, will hit bookstores across the country.  My dear friend Scott will see his hard work and dedication in print.  His story will be published for all to see.  It's a testimony of his life and a profession of his faith.  A big piece of me is in that book...in fact it's covered in that book...literally from cover to cover.  The photos tell a story (some stories that can't be repeated) that can never be reproduced.  And although my story is intertwined, it's a story about a man who will forever be etched in my heart and in the heart of many others. 

Thanks Scott (and Linda)...for everything!







8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Lindsay! We love you and are so thankful for the talent God gave you. Thanks for being available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna Burgett WisemanJuly 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

    That WAS beautifully written! Your talent is not only in photography! I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. I can't wait to read Scott's book. I know it will be a witness for Christ and it will touch many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! So sweet of you to say. Just blessed to know Scott and Linda and all they bring to my family (and me)!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post AND wonderful pictures!! Can't wait to read book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover picture is awesome. Can't wait to see the other pictures and read Scott's story. Scott and I went to school together in grade school, then Scott moved on to Prep.We lost touch but threw many common friends I've kept up with him and have been amazed by his strengths and his abilities to move forward, even when most would have given up.This didn't seem to surpise me as much for even when we were little kids, Scott moved forward,always doing his best. Always making the rest of us try harder just to keep up.

    The book I'm sure is going to be an inspiration to read. I look forward to this. I'm sure it will help me in my own life.Thanks Scott for taking the time to share this with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it seems you are a gifted writer as well as photographer (some people get all the talent)! ;) I was hanging on to every word in your post about the photo shoots. God blesses when we are looking for Him. After reading your article, I'm like, "Do I really have to wait until Fall to buy Scott's book?!" I shall never forget the day of Scott's accident, but what stands out during those first days and months was the incredible faith with which both, he and his family responded. I know the Lord will use his story to tell others HIS story. It's cool that you realize that you are part of it!

    ReplyDelete