Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ewww....

I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby. ~ Nancie J. Carmody

"Ewww"...it's Ainsley's new word. She uses it when she blows her nose (or anyone else does for that matter), when she sees dirt, when she sees a mess, or when she touches Callie's wet dog toy. I can hear her sweet little voice saying it now as I type. And that is exactly what I want to say many times when I look around my house. I see toys, I see dog hair, I see tiny pieces of food that have dropped and been trampled on. I want to say "ewww" when I think about doing an IEP after my girls go to bed. I want to say "ewww" when I think about making dinner after a long day at work. Most days I want to scream "ewwww!!" Dang you, society and your pressures!

1.) I feel pressure to be the best mother I can be. I want to teach my children values. I want to be here to raise them and show them all they know, yet I have to work. So I feel that weight on my shoulders even more, kind of like I need to "make-up" for the time I am at work. I don't want my children to not excel because I haven't done something right.

2.) I feel the pressure to be the best professional, working female I can be. I love what I do but I also feel the pressure to stay current, to stay up-to-date in my field so I can be a good therapist. I feel like I juggle many hats all day long...trying new therapy approaches because research supports it, servicing my children better today than I did the day before, taking data, attending meetings and listening to parents, hearing their concerns, and taking action based on that.

3.) I feel the pressure to be the best wife I can be. Society expects women to take on that domesticated role. To do the house cleaning, to make dinner every night, to take care of children, and to be the perfect counter-part her husband needs. And always do it looking my best. Really, think about it. What happens in today's society when you hear of a divorce...you get one of two responses. "Oh, THEY are getting a divorce? She is so cute....she always looks great...her hair is always perfect, etc., etc." OR "Well, she had let herself go recently."

It's the pressure to do it all. I want to be the "all-American" mom, professional, and wife. I do...but sometimes something has to give. And yesterday, after my first day back at work in two weeks...it was my house. Yesterday, I didn't care about toys on my floor, blankets wadded up on the couch, dirty Dorito finger prints on my furniture, and the all encompassing "ewwww." I spent my afternoon playing with the girls, laughing as we ran around the house, tickling until our bellies hurt from laughing. It was the best few hours of my day. And the icing on the cake was my sweet Leighton, "Mom, this is a good day, huh?" as she got her jammies on for bed.

Sometimes we have to let our kids have Dorito's before dinner...



and just ignore the orange finger prints on the furniture (by the way, this is a slip cover...phew)



Because a game of "peek-a-boo" is a lot more fun and makes memories for a lifetime!



3 comments:

  1. Don't we all!? It's hard for me to remember on a daily basis! Hugs sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well written! I couldn't agree with you more! Happy New Year! Hope we can get together soon.

    ReplyDelete